On the latest episode, Zach and Brian look at the week in film news, which includes the death of two major names in directing, backlash from a former Star Trek star on a change to a character, Pixar promising to be done with sequels for awhile, and the addition of a new face in the DC Universe. The duo looks at this summer’s slate of blockbusters in the main story and attempts to answer the question of whether or not this summer has been one of the worst for blockbuster fare. Finally, they conclude with a WTF story for the ages: Captain Kirk fighting Jesus?
- R.I.P. Abbas Kiarostami
- R.I.P. Michael Cimino
- John Cho reveals that Sulu is gay in Star Trek: Beyond, George Takei responds
- Ubisoft says Assassin’s Creed won’t make much money, it was made for marketing
- Pixar says it will take a break from sequels after 2019
- Justin Timberlake headlines new additions to Woody Allen’s next film
- Kiersey Clemons to re-unite with Dope director for The Flash
- Steven Soderbergh set to take aim at the Panama Papers
Is this summer one of the worst for blockbusters ever?
- “Is 2016 the worst summer movie season ever?” by Matt Singer
- “Five lessons we learned from this summer movie season” by Matt Singer
- “The sequels of 2016 aren’t about storytelling: they’re just brand extensions” by Mark Harris
WTF story of the week: